Saturday, June 1, 2013

Here's a rant

I've about had it today.  Not with with my kids, or husband or the weather or even the pregnancy.  I've had it with OLD people.  Seriously.  I've had so many old people related runs in today.  It started at 8:30 this morning when I was at Walmart (I know, my first mistake).  There were these two older ladies shopping together but they were both driving the electric shopping carts together, down the same aisle, side by side.  Nobody could get around them!  And so I would go down the aisle, get what I need, turn around and go back out the way I came and go to the next aisle only to be met with them again.  I even tried skipping a few aisles to throw them off but oh no.  There they were.  Beep, beep, beep, beep in reverse.  I was nice though.  I smiled and decided just to get the heck out of Walmart.
Then I go to check out and sure enough, classic Walmart style there are only two open lanes, four carts backed up at each one, and the checkers are at least 70.  I feel bad for these employees.  I do.  I hold Walmart accountable for ruining the economy and forcing these people who should be at home watching the Price is Right are instead having to pull the early shift on a Saturday.  So a new check out opens.  It is Bob.  I'm going to 75-80 on his age.  And I go in first.  A line quickly forms behind me and I am in front of a chubbier lady of about 65-70.  Well I realize that, 'Oh crud I got the wrong thing!'  I tell Bob I will be right back and I run, RUN, 9 months pregnant run, to the back of the store and get what I need and race back.  Turns out that whole time I was gone Bob was just waiting for me to return and did not continue checking of to which the old lady behind me had scoffed and said "Oh Great!"  Now in this instance I figure it was just my karma working against me.  I had been annoyed at the old ladies and now and old lady was annoyed with me.  I deserved it.  I wasn't vocal about my annoyance so maybe that lady shouldn't have been but either way I felt it was somewhat my just desserts.
This is all by 9:00 in the morning and I've had three run-ins.
Well I didn't head back out into the geriatric world that is Medford, Oregon until 1:00.  We had a soccer game, then brought Ben his lunch at work, and then we had to do some shopping.  I had to go by myself with all my kids in the heat of the afternoon.  We went to Lowes.  No real problem there except that it was Lowes and I never feel like I can find what I need there.  But Lowes was next to Costco and we all wanted a Costco ice cream.
My kids and I head over to Costco, only buy bread and iceberg lettuce.  When looking for a line they are outrageously long and this old couple in front of us blocked the whole pathway to the checkouts while they tried to figure out the best line to get in.  Once again and another old couple holding me up but I didn't care.  They were really old and I actually thought that they were what Ben and I would look  like one day when we would try to shop at Costco on a Saturday and can't move quickly.  We buy our stuff, eat our ice cream and by this point I'm pretty pleased with my kids for being so good after sitting in the hot sun all afternoon and not having naps.  We head out to the car which is parked in Timbuktu.  Heidi is carrying the lettuce, Kaylee is carrying the bread and I am holding both Daisy and Blake by the hand.  I'm in front with the kids trailing behind.  At this point Kaylee asked if we could listen to Disney songs on the way home and try to guess them.  I agreed and Daisy began to ask me what song was it that says, 'a place I never knew' and I figure out it is Aladdin, sing a bit, Daisy starts singing with me.  Cute, right?  I thought so and from behind I see this car pulling up and the lady has her window down.  She was saying something to me but I didn't understand right at first so I assume that she must be coming up to say how cute Daisy was singing Disney in the parking lot with me because I really did think we were that cute in that moment that everyone else must have seen it too.  Once again pride goes before the fall because I realize she is NOT telling me I have cute kids but is yelling at me to get my kids out of the middle of the road so she can drive by!!  Seriously?!?!?!  I look behind and Kaylee and Heidi are as close to the cars as they could get and I'm as close to the cars as I could get so we weren't in the middle.  She was driving a boat of a car, at a Costco on a Saturday and is yelling at me because I have two small kids whose hands I'm holding to keep them from running in the middle of the road!!  Man I am done with old people.  I wanted to tell her what I really thought but in the back of my head I always have to be polite on the off chance that the person may be a potential patient of Ben's and you don't want them thinking their Optometrist has a rude wife and quit going to them.  So I said sorry, then said grouch when I knew she was out of earshot, and then when it was time to cross over to the further parking lot section with all my kids in front of that same lady's car I told the kids to take their time :)  I hope she gets her karma later today and has something happen to where she feels slightly stupid and hopefully will realize it was because she was so rude to big, fat, pregnant lady who was doing her best.
Not all old people are bad.  Ben's grandma is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.  She may not always use the politically correct labels for ethnic groups but that only makes you like her more!  All in all I am done with old people today.  I'm not heading out to anymore shopping places until after 8:00 when they, and my kids, will be in bed.

PS-while typing this Kaylee asked if I was really going to send it to anyone and said I better not put it on facebook because that old lady may see it and call the police on me.  I don't know what's worse.  That she believes old people are that mean now or that she knows it's not a new thing for someone to call the cops on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa...remind me not to get too close to you with my mart cart in a few years!!!! all of the kids have voted for you and ben to end up with us in our later years. i guess this means we should look elsewhere? :)

Peggy said...

Hahahahaaaa! I love reading your blogs! I swear you should publish them. Especially this one, put it in the Medford local paper, it is SO funny!!!

(I hope this will be funny to you one day....maybe not this day....)

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.