Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Creative Kids

I've said before that I have a wonderful cookbook full of southern food.  I love it.  It has sentimental value to me (and there are not a lot of things that do) and whenever I make something from I am 1-so excited, 2-always love it, and 3-full and fat at the end.  Pretty much anything Southern is bad for a diet but I do love it.  This last week I made a Strawberry cobbler FROM SCRATCH that was so good.  I even got to use my new ramekins!!  I've been wanting to use them ever since I got them at Christmas and this was their maiden voyage.  So cute.  I love ramekins.  I'm going to start looking for more of them while yard selling.
Filling
1 C Sugar
1/4 C all-purpose flour
5 C fresh or 2 (14oz packages) frozen blackberries (I used strawberries), thawed and drained
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Combine sugar and flour; add berries and toss well. (If using frozen increase flour to 1/3 cup). Sprinkle with lemon juice then spoon into a greased 8 or 9-inch square dish.

Crust
1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 C shortening
1/2 C whipping cream
1/2 C buttermilk (I used regular milk)

Combine first four ingredients; cut in shortening  until mixture is crumbly.  Stir in whipping cream and milk just until blended.  Spoon over filling in 9 mounds.  Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar.  Bake uncovered at 425 for 30 mins or until brown and bubbly.  It will not take that long if you are using ramekins though.  I topped it off with homemade whipped cream! 

The other day Heidi brought home a napkin from school and quickly turned it into a dress for her barbie.  If that isn't the epitome of turning trash into treasure I don't know what is.  She was quite proud of herself and said, "Mom you should put this on pinterest.  This is a great idea."  I love Heidi.  How do you keep a straight face when she says that?  Being a supportive mother I promptly agreed, took pictures, and will be pinning this to me pinterest boards.  People may decide to stop following me but I will take that chance for Heidi. (PS-That scroll thing on Snow White is even the graduation decoration that came with the cupcakes...nothing goes to waste at our house!!)

The kids still have another whole week of school.  I'm excited for it to be over but then again we are still in our apartment complex which means I will be spending the rest of the month hauling bikes up and down the stairs, hauling the kids to parks because we have no yard to play, and pretty much refereeing between Kaylee and Heidi, Kaylee and Daisy and Kaylee and me for the next three months. Hopefully we will not spend much of summer in the apartments but will finally be able to move into a house again.  When that happens I plan to find a lawn chair at a yard sale and set up camp in the yard with a good book while the kids just play and explore.  I can't wait.

No comments: