Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fall favorites

Last week the kids got dressed in their halloween gear.  I tried to get a cute picture but this is as good as it gets.  Last night I worked on Blake's halloween costume.  I'm not so into halloween that i plan for months or even care much about the costumes but each year there is always one that will be just the right one and I put my effort into that one.  The rest of the kids have to make due with what we have on hand but they seem fine with it.  Last year the effort was put into Heidi being a witch (and at the last minute Daisy being an ipad).  The year before that Kaylee got the effort put into a Peter Pan costume and luckily we had a dress that would work for wendy and tinkerbell.  But this year Blake will get to be....
Lightning McQueen!!!
He loves, loves, loves playing with cars.  He carries 2 or 3 around wherever we go.  Lightning and Mater are his two favorites but if they are missing he will take any car he can.  Last night he was totally uninterested in the red box but once I put the eyes on he stood there and gasped.  You know he is excited because he will gasp with his mouth wide open like he can't believe it.  He is such a cute kid.  I still have the wheels to put on and it needs straps to keep it on his shoulders but otherwise his costume is about done.  Heidi and Kaylee are going to be super heroes and Daisy is just wearing a princess dress that we already have.  They would like Ben to dress up as Ernest but I don't know if we can find a cool jean vest that is cheap enough.  I love Halloween.  It is one holiday where my family had a real routine when we were younger that has become for most of us adult kids a tradition.  We'd always go to grandma's, have weenie stew, and then trick or treat with our cousins.  Plus it is the kickoff for the rest of the holidays coming up.  I love this time of year. 

7 comments:

Angelee said...

weenie stew. ha. memories.

Katie Leigh said...

I think that picture perfectly captures the personalities of your kids. I laughed out loud when I saw Kaylee!

Jana said...

I was running the other day, and thinking about random things (as is wont to happen while running) and thought about Halloween and all the fun we've had with your family the last several years. I'll miss trick-or-treating with you guys this year. BUT, I thought to myself, I will NOT miss the weenie stew! :)

Anonymous said...

nice job on the costume and i happen to love weinie stew. it is the only good thing about halloween

Valerie: said...

oh no why was she crying?? They are cute still!!

Peggy said...

Can we have your recipe for weenie stew?

Micaela said...

Sorry Becky, weenie stew? hm. Not so awesome. However, it WAS awesome that your family has such great Halloween traditions! :) Oh and that car is awesome shauna. So is that picture of Kaylee!