Friday, July 8, 2011

Fun Day Friday!!

I'm so glad Heidi had fun day Friday in school so we would have a name for the day. We've established Friday as our fun day and that means they get to watch movies that day!! Yes! We were sick of the kids asking nonstop to watch movies so we decided they didn't get to watch ANY except on Fridays. Friday night we would watch a movie as a family. Tonight's pick was Hook...a favorite of mine.

As fun as that sounds, however, it was NOT the exciting thing that helped us today. Today we had a slew of small, heavenly interventions that I completely recognize as Heavenly Father helping us out. So for fun day Friday we decided to do a little yard saling (not a real word but a common term in the Hancock household). We got a few random things-I'm mainly going for cheap things I can fix up and decorate my place with. As we were headed out towards the last one on the list the traffic was backed up. So I'm chatting away with Erica about stuff and think that I should check the temperature of the car. I never, never, never check that even though Ben always tells me to so the fact that I checked at that moment when the temperature gauge was all the way up at the H is a miracle. I quickly drove right out of the traffic to the first parking lot available. It was a semi-deserted one so I sat there and called Ben. Then I called Mike for his advise. The only plan we had was to get it towed but I had me and all 4 kids! There was no way to get it towed and get us all home and we still have ZERO people we know here. I just didn't think towing was a possibility. That's when miracle #2 happened.

I told the girls we needed to pray. (I'm wondering why I didn't think to do that at the get-go but I guess even Nephi forgot to pray until after two failed attempts to get the plates). I prayed that something would work out. I didn't feel right to pray that the car would magically work but that we would find some way to get help, that it would be relatively cheap, and that Ben would be able to contact me through it all. So as soon as the prayer ends and I'm sitting there looking around I realize that the non-deserted side of the parking lot was a roofing company, a car dealership and auto repair place!! I seriously did not see that until after we prayed for help.
We headed over to ask for help, the guys took the car and then miracle #3 happened. The total cost would be $75!!! Now in my past car repair experiences I have never escaped without paying a minimum of $400 so $75 was like amazingly cheap! The only problem was that the part was a weird one that no one had in stock so it was going to have to stay overnight. In comes miracle #4.

I call Ben to let him know the situation. If you know Ben then you know he is fiercely committed to his work and will not be a flake employee so if he was busy then I was on my own. Heidi suggested we take the jogging stroller in the back of the van and just go home but I didn't think 10 miles with 4 kids was a good idea. However the Lord intervened AGAIN!! Ben's 1:00 appointment didn't show! He had just enough time to pick us up and me drive him back to work before his 1:45 appointment! It was awesome. I love when things like this happen so you can see so clearly how the Lord is watching over you and helping you out. I also love that the answers were right in front of me but I had to ask for His help. I love the lesson I learned to call on my Heavenly Father first instead of others. And I also love the opportunity it gave me to teach my kids about the power of prayer. As we walked to the auto repair shop I marveled to the girls how quickly Heavenly Father blessed us when we prayed. Heidi was impressed but Kaylee's reply was "I just think we shouldn't have prayed and just found it on our own. I didn't want to pray to Heavenly Father for help." Oh, Kaylee. I honestly can't say that surprises me because that is just how you are. What am I going to do when you get older?

2 comments:

Jana said...

LOL! Kaylee cracks me up. Great story, glad you wrote it down. How often do we fail to recognize our blessings?

Hope everything is going great for you guys in OR. I've been thinking about you, I'll call this week.

Anonymous said...

Cute story, love you!!