Sunday, September 19, 2010

Playing Restaurant

One night I didn't have dinner planned and the girls each wanted something different. For some reason my 'creative mom' kicked in and we played restaurant. I made a quick menu from stuff in the house that would be easy to make, took the girls' orders, and made a different dinner for each of them. They loved it! It was pretty fun for me to. They've asked to do it since but really wanted to play restaurant for Ben's birthday because it is just THAT fun. So on Friday we went to the dollar store, got decorations, went to Target and got quick-fix foods and surprised Ben with Restaurant when he got home from work!
Everyone put in their orders. They get to pick a main dish item, a side, a drink and a dessert. Ben is normally the waiter but got to take the night off since it was his birthday dinner. He ordered french toast, hash browns and chocolate milk. Heidi ordered Mac and Cheese, fresh fruit (an orange) and soda. Kaylee ordered a peanut butter and pickle sandwich (yum!), chips and soda. All Daisy cared about was the chocolate milk so she also got mac and cheese. It was a pretty fun dinner.

The girls loved my homemade menus and I love making food for my family.
The only problem with playing restaurant is that I end up using almost every dish I own to make each different order.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! I'll have to remember that for family night once my kids are older.

Anonymous said...

That menu looks way better than what i was picturing. Fun idea.

Jana said...

That really was such a cute idea! I am going to steal it from you and do it! I will have to think about all the dirty dishes, though...maybe make Jason the dishwasher instead of the waiter.

Great idea, Shauna. You are a fun mom!

Anonymous said...

Shauna, you are such a good mommy and wife!!! I love your posts and sweet pictures. Your kids are growing way way too fast.

Than Hancock said...

Ben looks hot in those scrubs! Happy BDay

Peggy said...

How fun! If i was there I would have ordered Sweet potato casserole!!! I think about that all the time. =)