Every conference weekend we have a few family traditions. I like that we have traditions based around conference. I feel like it will help my kids look forward to conference and also to know that we have conference twice a year and, more importantly, that conference is both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't know that conference was a two-day event until I was a junior in high school and learned it from my seminary teacher so I'm glad my kids already realize that for two days we will be watching it.
Our conference traditions start with the priesthood session. Deseret Book always has a girls night out but when you have small kids that doesn't really work. I don't get to dump them off anywhere, nor do I ever see me having a night to myself since I have three girls who don't get to go. So instead, when Ben leaves for the two hour block, I take the kids out to ice cream and then to the book store. However we have a lot of kids now. This year we invited other families over and had an ice cream sundae bar at the house and then played outside. After ice cream we got our jackets on and hauled ALL the outside toys we own down to the grassy area and let the kids play. It was fun but we had a lot of kids and it was cold. By the end of the two hours they were all crying. Here's a few pictures of the kids playing.



Here's a few pictures of the adults playing! We each raced around the complex on the flying turtle for time. It was a good laugh and we decided it should be a new tradition for us Moms. The kids thought it was hilariously funny that the Moms were going to ride around. (As a side note: My brother-in-law sincerely questioned me if I had any friends. What??? Of course I have friends! I'm a nice person! Why wouldn't I have friends? So here are a few pictures of my friends down here.)
For our other conference tradition we have orange rolls on Sunday morning. Normally I buy the Rhodes rolls (which are delicious) but this year to save money I decided to make them. Don't they look great?!?! I think next time I will add a little more orange flavoring to the cream cheese frosting but otherwise they were pretty good. I hope this will be something my kids appreciate and continue in their own families.
2 comments:
yeah, well i won't be riding around on that thing when i go up there the next time. but the orange rolls look delicious.
That picture makes it look like I'm going way faster than I actually was. Did you see my hair blowing in the wind? Why don't I look more like a model?
Post a Comment