Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Buddy

Blake is almost a year old and it has been, without a doubt, the hardest year of my life. He just came at a hard time and was also a hard baby. He screamed and cried all the time. But then, come 2011, he finally changed. New year, New Blake. He was just happier for some reason. I don't know why but he was happier. And it was wonderful. He laughed, he smiled, I finally was enjoying this baby.

Then last week Blake crawled off the porch step, falling a bit, not much at all, but enough that he cried. Then he continued crying every time I picked him up. Then came his fever that all my kids had. He cried and cried for three days. His fever passed and he was better when I picked him except that he arched his back a funny way. He continued to cry and cry all day and I thought "please Blake, please! I can't do this again with all your crying. I can't handle it if you become a hard baby again. I just can't do this!" I felt desperate to avoid the Blake of 2010. Finally I decided to take him to doctor because I didn't want his back-arching to turn into some weird muscle-imbalance where he would have to go through physical therapy to learn how to correctly use his back muscle or something like that. Turns out he broke his collar bone ten days ago and this whole time has just been in pain! A broken bone?!?!?! Way to go, Mom! Way to let your baby cry in pain with a broken bone and not even realize it. I felt pretty dumb with the doctor and pretty worried about how Ben would react since he told me to take him the day it happened.
But the good news was that there is little you can do for the collar bone except to give tylenol and make sure you don't touch (like when you are picking him up). And the other great news is that he is completely finished with being sick and back to being happy! He was been wonderful these last two days (broken bone and all). He's back to playing with me, smiling, laughing, and overall just being cute. He and I both got hair cuts. The funny thing is that I cut them both the exact same way! It is fun having a boy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and "mom of the year" award goes to.....shauna. i am glad that he is feeling better though and being happy again. i love the picture of the two of you together and the one in the high chair.

The G-5+2 said...

Been there done that. It makes you feel so great huh. It makes me glad that they forget and forgive so quickly. I am glad everyone is doing better. Keep your chin up you are a great mom.

The Smiths said...

Whenever I try and explain to people just how abused I was as a child, I usually tell them then story of when I broke my collar bone. Mom made me go and sit through a graduation on bleachers in a 110 degree weather, then made me sleep on it and still made me do my morning chore the next day before she would take me to the hospital...Good thing Blake won't remember this huh?

Than and Erica said...

what the heck??? That is so sad. poor blake. But at least there was a reason for all of his crying. We need to see that kid sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Cute haircut. Yeah, I've been there with that wait and see attitude after a broken bone that I didn't know about. Just ask Ashley and Jon....they never let me forget!!