The weather was wonderful while my mom was here. The trees finally bloomed! It was a lot of fun having my mom here to experience part of our lives in Tennessee. Not only did she get to see the beautiful trees in bloom but she also got to experience a thunder storm, the tornado sirens, Memphis traffic and she got to see the school where The Blindside story happened.

Ben and I love the thunder storms out here. They come quick, are loud and scary, and then they leave quick. We were excited for my mom to experience it because they are so much better than the storms in CA. Normally Kaylee will come running in to sleep with us when there is a storm but this time it was my mom who came running in to sleep with us. We didn't let her in the bed so she had to sleep on the floor by my side.

With the beautiful weather we packed Blake up in the carrier and went to the park. The top picture is him all mashed in. He did good though. Another part of life in Tennessee is that there are the occasional tornados. The fire station is only half a mile away (right next to the park). Every saturday at noon they test the tornado sirens for about 30 seconds. My mom flipped when she heard it thinking there was a tornado coming. Even though the skies were a beautiful bright blue and the temp was 70 degrees it still took a while to convince her there was NOT a real tornado-just testing the sirens.

My mom had to drive the whole time since I wasn't allowed to drive for two weeks. She actually said that the worst part of her trip was driving and having me yell the directions at her. But she was driving like a slug. When she headed onto the freeway she didn't even speed up. We were following Ben but getting left in the dust because she didn't go over 45. We were all happy when my two weeks was up and I could take over the car again.

My mom also spent the whole vacation trying to figure out a way to get in touch with Leigh Anne Touhy (the lady from blind side). She wanted to meet her but I told her that her best chance was to hang out at a Taco Bell and hope she showed up. We did drive by the actual school that Michael Oher attended so she could get a picture of it.

We also went to the Mississippi River with my mom and had a picnic lunch. She was really excited because she got to pick out her own sack lunch. We have all the small bags of chips and cookies for Ben's lunches so she had fun picking stuff. Most of our activities revolved around food. We took her to Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, Captain D's (twice), and I made my southern meal of pulled pork, sweet potato casserole and fried pickles. The fried pickles were a hit!

I really do love where we lived and I hope my mom could see why. This area is great and we have really enjoyed living here. I'm actually sad that we only have a year left. I don't know where we will end up but I will always love my time in the south. I feel like a southern at heart.

These are two good lookin' guys!
6 comments:
I love that you love living here, too. I think Memphis and Bartlett are great!
Aww, you're making me "home" sick. I miss the south big time.
Im so jealous that the girls are in shorts and short sleeve shirts! Cute pics!
Thanks for the good times. I loved hanging out with the kids. Tell Kaylee thanks for coloring with me. I actually got to where I enjoyed it and sort of looked forward to it. I miss holding that baby though. I love Tennessee too...I just wish it wasn't so far away!!
It's nice every once in a while to be reminded how nice it truly is here. You look great, by the way! And that last picture of Ben and Blake is so sweet.
Tennessee is the best! I loved growing up there and I'm sure your gfamily will too.
Post a Comment