Thursday, November 6, 2008

We Don't Say That!

STUPID: ignorant, dense, dim witted, idiotic, foolish, slow, thick, obtuse, imbecile, dumb, dopey, dozy, moronic, pea-brained, half-witted, soft in the head, doltish, boneheaded, thickheaded, muttonheaded, daft, silly, unintelligent, scatterbrained, absurd, ludicrous, senseless, nutty, batty, cuckoo, loopy, cockeyed, harebrained, lame brained.

HATE: detest, despise, abhor, execrate, loathe, dislike, be repelled by, can't bear/stand, find intolerable, shrink from, recoil from.

We have told the girls that "We don't say stupid".  And then while talking to Ben I will say that something is stupid and the girls (Kaylee especially) will quickly remind me that "we don't say that!"  We have also outlawed 'hate'.  I get tired of hearing cooking dinner all day just have them say, 'I hate this.'  Or have them say that they hate their sibling.  But, if Ben and I are talking about things and I say I hate something then I have to hear it from the girls.  So I decided that I should expand my vocabulary.  

Today is also Thankful Thursday.   I am thankful for the Dashboard setting on the computer that lets me look up words so easily.  I am thankful for wonderful weather...wearing a t-shirt in November is so nice!  I am also thankful for my mom.  She puts up with a lot from me.  I am thankful for The Office.  It gives me something to look forward to on Thursdays.  I am thankful that Ben is taking tonight off from studying.  FINALLY a night with just him!  

8 comments:

Katie said...

me too about the thursdays thing - i love having the office and 30 rock to look forward to watching.

Jason Both said...

Really good words. I've been thinking about expanding my vocab lately. Maybe stupid would be a good one to start with. Of course it would be funny if the kids start using obtuse or execrate. We don't have a problem with hate in our house, but I sure do hear a lot of "I don't like this," or "She's not my friend anymore." I think I was watching noggin or something and they were teaching preschool age kids the word tenacious. I thought that was pretty funny. We need to get these kids ready for the ACT/SAT at the age of three!!! It probably would be beneficial if they grow up using a vast vocabulary.
Oh, and I am kind of sad about McCain loosing. I'm even more sad about how Sarah Palin is being treated. I like her a lot. I swear this country is more sexist than racist sometimes.

homeschooling Mama said...

Those two words are "bad" words in our house to! I find them incredibly hurtful so we find other words to use also!

Katie said...

When Preston and I first were married I said hate all the time. I'm not allowed to say it, which sometimes I slip up, but Preston never says it. It's a hard habit to break. Everett says, "Holy Crap!" Thanks to me. You have to be so careful with what you say. I need to expand my vocabulary as well. We should have a new word every week that we have to use. That would make things interesting.

Anonymous said...

I hate it when you don't change your blog and I think that it is stupid if you don't put up pictures with it. I want Pancake Head videos.

shauna said...

Thanks, Mom. Like I didn't see that comment coming.

Katie said...

OK, I've got our word. I'll pick this week and you pick next week. Does that sound good? The word is "Maugre", which means- in spite of. This is going to be a tuffy. :)

Katie Leigh said...

When my youngest sister was about three, my mom outlawed the word 'whatever,' but I honestly can't remember why. You can use that word in a lot of conversations that aren't bad! I can't tell you how many times we would just be talking and then out of the blue, Amy would yell, "Mom! Katie said 'whatever!'" She still does it every now and then, and she's sixteen.